Date:      Wed, 26 May 2010 08:59:58 +1000
From:      Greg 'groggy' Lehey <grog@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Eitan Adler <lists@eitanadler.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org, Matthew Jacob <mj@feral.com>
Subject:   Re: GSoC: BSD text tools

--GpGaEY17fSl8rd50

On Wednesday, 26 May 2010 at  1:21:20 +0300, Eitan Adler wrote:
>> On 5/25/2010 9:52 AM, Julian Elischer wrote:
>>> BSD has always =A0been ab;e to produce it's documentation as part of its
>>> build
>>>
>>> Please keep this true.
>
> This is what mdocml will be for. I never advocated removing the
> utilities required for building documentation from the base - just
> the soon to be superfluous groff utility (once the GSOC project is
> done).

But groff *is* a tool required for building documentation.  There are
more documents than mdoc in the source tree.  And there's no reason to
remove groff just because you're introducing mdocml.

mdocml is possibly a good idea; a better one IMO would be to replace
the whole mdoc crud with something better, produce tools to format it,
and leave groff the way it is.  Then you could migrate the man pages
gradually.

Greg
This message is digitally signed.  See
http://www.lemis.com/grog/email/signed-mail.php for more details.
If your Microsoft MUA reports problems, please read
http://tinyurl.com/broken-mua

--GpGaEY17fSl8rd50

--GpGaEY17fSl8rd50--