Date:      Wed, 24 Jun 1998 19:46:49 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
To:        Lanny Baron <purebeef@shaw.wave.ca>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: routing tables and problem understanding the results

On Tue, 23 Jun 1998, Lanny Baron wrote:

>             I have a cable modem, 2 pcs connected via hub, 2 nics in one
> pc (one of those nic cards directly attached to modem via ethernet
> cable) and 1 nic in the other pc. I do not have static IP.  When typing
> netstat -r the following appears:
>
> [beef]$ netstat -r
> Routing tables
>
> Internet:
> Destination        Gateway            Flags     Refs     Use     Netif
> Expire
> default            h24-64-141-1.mt.wa UGSc        4        0       de0
> unused.shaw.ca/24  link#2             UC          0        0
> unused.shaw.ca     link#1             UC          0        0
> unused.shaw.ca     0:80:c8:7e:f3:db   UHLW        1        4
> de1    954
> unused.shaw.ca     ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff  UHLWb       1        2       de1
> 24.64.141/24       link#1             UC          0        0
> h24-64-141-1.mt.wa 8:0:3e:1a:b8:97    UHLW        5        0       de0
> 1166
> localhost          localhost          UH          0        0       lo0

ok.

>         Can someone please tell me what the unused.shaw.ca is. I have no
> idea what that is.

Usually it's a machine, but I don't have a DNS entry for it.  Try running
`netstat -rn' to determine the real IP it's seeing.

> I usually, right after boot up, type /usr/local/sbin/dhcpc de0 then a
> minuet or so later type natd -interface de0

ok.  I assume you're setting up ipfw's divert socket.

>      In all this I don't quite understand why I don't have to type
> something to reference de1, the 2nd nic card.

The ifconfig for de1 takes care of routing your internal net.

>     Is there some way to get my registered domain to point to me? I have
> a static so long as don't reboot and of course, the cable co. doesn't
> reboot either.

If you have a registered domain, why are you using dhcp?  If you have a
domain you have to have a static IP (or using DDNS in which casse you were
supplied a client to use).