Date:      Mon, 17 Feb 1997 09:11:15 -0800 (PST)
From:      Josef Grosch <jgrosch@superior.truenorth.org>
To:        email@john.net (John Clark)
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Automatic File Send (FTP)

>Hello,
>
>I am trying to dispatch a file automatically to another server at a given
>time.  The Cron scheduling is obvious, but what is not obvious is a
>practical way of invoking an FTP agent to do the transfer.  What I am
>thinking of is the reverse of NCFTP's colon mode of file fetching (ie.
>ncftp site.name:file.name).  The script will also have to send a user name
>and pwd.  Accomplishing this is not at all obvious.  Does anyone have
>suggestions?
>
>Thanks in advance.
>

>John Clark
>[email@john.net]

Read the FTP man page. Look at the section which talks about the .netrc
file. In the past I have used a perl script to generate, on the fly, a
.netrc file then invoke ftp. Works pretty well

Josef

--
Josef Grosch       | Laugh while you can, monkey boy ! |    FreeBSD 2.1.6
jgrosch@sirius.com |          - John Warfin -          | UNIX for the masses