Date:      Tue, 10 Dec 1996 21:05:53 -0500 (EST)
From:      Brian Tao <taob@io.org>
To:        Dev Chanchani <dev@trifecta.com>
Cc:        FREEBSD-SECURITY-L <freebsd-security@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: URGENT: Packet sniffer found on my system

On Tue, 10 Dec 1996, Dev Chanchani wrote:

> Okay,
> ..so.. you found a sniffer from a rootkit package..
> ....<drum roll>
> ...... you're rootkit'ed.

    I found none of the trojans or other telltales signs of rootkit on
the compromised systems.  The user's home directory didn't have any of
the source files left when I checked, just the sniffit binary.  I'm
familiar with the rootkit distribution, and none of it (besides the
packet sniffer) appears to have been installed here.

> Expire all the passwords and re-install all the system binaries and
> hopefully he will go away.

    All staff have been notified to cycle their passwords.  What to do
with the user base is an entirely different matter...
--
Brian Tao (BT300, taob@io.org, taob@ican.net)
Senior Systems and Network Administrator, Internet Canada Corp.