Date:      Fri, 29 Nov 2002 10:27:49 -0800
From:      Marcel Moolenaar <marcel@xcllnt.net>
To:        Jake Burkholder <jake@locore.ca>
Cc:        Perforce Change Reviews <perforce@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: PERFORCE change 21643 for review

On Fri, Nov 29, 2002 at 12:43:55PM -0500, Jake Burkholder wrote:

> > If we do want to proceed in this direction, then it's probably a good
> > idea to get more people involved. I'm in no way a vga(4), fb(4) or
> > syscons(4) wizard and I don't intend to take this on by myself: it's
> > just too hairy...
>
> Hmm, ok.  I don't really know what to suggest in that case.  Kazu was the
> last person to do extensive work on syscons I think.  It may be less work,
> for sparc64 at least, to look at importing wscons from netbsd or openbsd
> which is much more multi platform aware than syscons.

I've been looking at that too but figured it would just be differently
hairy, so I decided to stick with something I have already running on
another architecture. I'm not partiticularly attached to syscons so if
wscons looks more appealing without giving up too many features, then
I see no reason why we cannot use it on ia64 as well.

> > Secondly: In vga_vid_config we need to actually probe for a VGA device.
> > Can I assume that for sparc64 the legacy memory and I/O exists as well?
>
> Don't really know what you mean by legacy memory and I/O.  Most sparc64
> machines have UPA graphics, which I imagine is quite different from vga,
> I haven't looked into it, but there are some with just vga.

Ok. I have one more file I need to submit (unhook sc0 from isa and hook
it up to nexus0) With that I have syscons working (barely). For sparc64
you should be able to use that with any non-isa display adapter driver,
provided you can probe (and use) it before newbus is useable. After that
it should be mostly cleaning up, fleshing out, fixing and shuffling of
code to make it look like it was designed up front :-)