Date:      Wed, 9 Dec 1998 16:19:26 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Jason C. Wells" <jcwells@u.washington.edu>
To:        ZorkLord <zorklord@xtreme.net.au>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Installing FreeBSD

On Wed, 10 Dec 1997, ZorkLord wrote:

>FreeBSD,
>
>        Thanks for your answers so far, I just want to clarify
>        something.  I have 1 HDD at 4.3Gig split into two FAT16
>        partitions at 2.15Gig each.  Winblows is on the first
>        partition along with all my programs/games, the second
>        partition is completely empty, but I dont want to deadicate
>        the entire second partition to FreeBSD, is it possible to use
>        FIPS to create a smaller partition from the second partition,
>        say 300Meg?  If so, there any FAQ's or instructions for FIPS
>        anywhere?

How you do this is entirely up you. You can use disc tools to slice a
drive up into 10MB pieces if you like.

I personally use 4.3 GB for FreeBSD. I used to use 1 GB.

For you, I would use fdisk in dos to split the empty partition. I would
then use one of those "splits" for FreeBSD. I would not make the FreeBSD
partition smaller than 500 MB. If you really like FreeBSD you will fill it
up fast. If you don't like it, it won't matter because you will delete
FreeBSD.

Go for it! At the absolute worst you delete FreeBSD and end up with an
empty partition, just like you have right now. At the best, you find out
what a great product FreeBSD is an delete Winblows from Microspastic. :)

Catchya Later, | UW Mechanical Engineering
Jason Wells | http://weber.u.washington.edu/~jcwells/