Date:      Wed, 4 Sep 2002 08:34:15 +0200
From:      Martin Kahlert <martin.kahlert@infineon.com>
To:        Alexander@Leidinger.net
Cc:        kris@obsecurity.org, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: first icc did not start, now it does not stop...

Hi!
Thanks all for trying to help.

On Tue, Sep 03, 2002 at 06:59:57PM +0200, Alexander@Leidinger.net wrote:
> On Tue, 3 Sep 2002 08:15:30 -0700 Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
> wrote:
>
> > > 'icc anything' gave me an error like symbol not found: GLIBC-2.1_3
> > > or something like that at startup.
> >
> > Don't be vague about error messages, we can't diagnose accurately if
> > you don't paste the exact error message.
>
> For this part of his messages it was enough info for me.

Yes, everyone who programmed before will know what that means.
But nevertheless here is the exact wording:

/usr/local/intel/compiler60/ia32/bin/iccbin: /lib/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.1.3' \
   not found (required by /usr/local/intel/compiler60/ia32/bin/iccbin)
/usr/local/intel/compiler60/ia32/bin/iccbin: /lib/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.1.3' \
   not found (required by /usr/local/intel/compiler60/ia32/lib/libcxa.so.1)

I got this message with linux_base-6.1_1.tgz.

> The second part of his message (icc doesn't stop) is strange (and
> there's no message he can quote).

Here is some more information:
$ pkg_info | grep linux
linux-netscape-navigator-4.79 Linux Netscape navigator web-surfboard
linux_base-7.1      The base set of packages needed in Linux mode

Can i just copy my Linux /lib/libc.so.6 over to
*/compat/linux*/where_libc.so.6_is?
I do not understand, how Linux compatibility works in FreeBSD:
How does the runtime linker know that the executable is a Linux
executable and translate /lib/libc* into /compat/linux/libc*?
IIRC even ldd tells me that icc uses /lib/libc.so.6.
Very strange...

As Alexander suggested, i played a bit with the license manager.
I explicitly started it using the command
$ lmgrd.linux -c /usr/local/intel/licenses/<my_license_file>
and it told me: no SERVER line found - which i must admit is correct.
So i prepended the license lines obtained from Intel by these two lines:
SERVER keksy 0010dc50cacb
DAEMON INTEL /usr/local/intel/compiler60/ia32/bin/INTEL

(keksy is the hostname of the box and 0010dc50cacb is its hostid obtained
from 'lmutil lmhostid')

After that
$ lmgrd.linux -c /usr/local/intel/licenses/<my_license_file>
seemed to work, but 'icc -o t t.c' continues to loop inside mcpcom.

Alexander, did you set LM_LICENSE_FILE to anything?
I tried it with and without exporting that variable set to my
license file but without any success.

BTW: What is FreeBSD's equivalent command to Linux's strace -f?
This command follows subprocesses and gives information
for them, too. I actually want to get socket information and the like.
truss seems to be quite limited in contrast to Linux's strace.

Thanks again for your help!

Kind regards,
Martin.

--
The early bird catches the worm. If you want something else for
breakfast, get up later.