Date:      Tue, 12 Feb 2002 14:14:04 -0500
From:      parv <parv_@yahoo.com>
To:        Morsal Rodbay <morsal@swipnet.se>
Cc:        f-q <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: how to set resource limits

in message <20020212115013.A51934@zigman.2y.net>,
wrote Morsal Rodbay thusly...

> On Mon, Jan 21, 2002 at 06:16:45AM -0500, parv wrote:
> > i had read the man pages for limits, my shell (bash), and
> > login.conf.  in login.conf, everything is unlimited; current limits
> > are...
> >

> >   cputime          infinity secs
> >   filesize         infinity kb
> >   datasize           524288 kb
> >
> >  - parv
>
> I have the same problem... login.conf has set datasizes to unlimited but
> when I login through ssh it is set to 524288 kb.. :-(

just so that there is no misunderstanding, my problem is not that
datasize is limited to X kB (even though it's unlimited in
/etc/login.conf; well those limits quite possibly be imposed by the
kernel).

my problem is how to set the limits so that i can use large programs
-- like X, netscape etc. -- such that when programs start growing to say
100MB SIZE and RES, they will be killed.

 - parv