Date:      Sat, 14 Mar 1998 17:06:59 +1100
From:      David Dawes <dawes@rf900.physics.usyd.edu.au>
To:        shimon@simon-shapiro.org
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Building XF86Setup (Was Re: silo overflows (Was Re: 3.0-RELE

On Fri, Mar 13, 1998 at 09:49:47PM -0800, Simon Shapiro wrote:

>On 14-Mar-98 David Dawes wrote:
>> On Tue, Mar 10, 1998 at 09:30:45AM -0800, Simon Shapiro wrote:
>>
>>>I built XF86--3.3.2, XFSetup does not link, has lots of tk/tcl undefined
>>>stuff.  When it is installed, it does funny things with interrupts;
>>>mouse
>>>events seem to be generated out of thin air.
>>
>> The "ports" Tk and/or Tcl static libraries are broken again.  I always
>> end up needing to build my own static libs when building the XFree86
>> binary dists.
>
>That's good to know.  How do I do that? Pick up the distfiles from ucb, and
>build in a private area?

That's more or less what I do.  I usually use tcl 7.6 and tk 4.2, and do
a "standard" build (no shared libs).  An alternative is to edit
your xc/config/cf/host.def file to say you're using shared tcl/tk libs
instead of static (see the xf86site.def file in the same directory for
an example of what to do).

BTW, are you seeing some different undefined symbols, or just one (panic)
like someone else reported?

David