Date:      Wed, 25 Oct 2000 06:43:42 -0700
From:      Blake Swensen <blake@pyramus.com>
To:        FreeBSD List <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Perl crypt(), htpasswd, and 4.1-RELEASE

This really is a FreeBSD question.

Have written a script which uses the perl crypt() command to
create/change passwords as a replacement for htpasswd.  This worked
perfectly on 2.1.6-RELEASE, and now that I have upgraded to 4.1-RELEASE
the encryption scheme seems to be different and all of my .htaccess
passwords are broken.

Can anyone shed some light on what might be happening here? ... htpasswd
will correctly encrypt the password, but perl crypt() will not.

Just FYI, I am using exactly the same version of httpd & htpasswd that
was running on the old 2.1.6 system, restored from backup.

Peace,
Blake