Date:      Sat, 20 Sep 97 18:08 MET DST
From:      Yanestra@t-online.de (Klaus-J. Wolf)
To:        ache@nagual.pp.ru
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   termcap

=?KOI8-R?B?4c7E0sXKIP7F0s7P1w==?= (Andrey A. Chernov) wrote:
> On Fri, 19 Sep 1997, Yanestra wrote:
>
> > It
> > appears that someone had introduced a new token to termcap, "@7".  This
>  token is
> > documented somewhere in the NCurses docs, which is in my personal opinion
> > totally irrelevant.  The old standard says that "@7" should be named "kH",
>  and I
> > see no reason why this should be changed, for the sake of many programs
>  which
> > rely on it.

> kH is not acceptable because it means different key: "last line"
> which is not equal to "end" key.

It is a very very old discussion how the "End" key on several terminals should
behave.  Some treat it as "go to EOT", some as "go to EOL".  Since there was no
alternative (no "@7" key), most programs treated it ("kH") as they liked.

> termcap database now officially maintained by ncurses people, namely Eric
> S. Raymond, and FreeBSD tries to adopt those entries when possible.

Officially?  You make me laugh.  Official to whom?  It is the wrong date to make
any fixes to a thing that is as old as Unix itself.  If someone desires to make
funny new inventions and declare them as standard, whatever that means, he
should be careful, 'cause it could happen, that he annoys people with it, when
their programs start to fail.  In this case, he has annoyed me, and I will not
accept anything Eric S. Raymond starts to damage my system with.

> Old curses/termcap project not maintained anymore in favor of ncurses
> which is default curses for BSD now, it is official position of old
> curses/termcap maintainer.

Funny thing.  NCurses relies on terminfo, not on termcap.  Someone seems to have
crippled NCurses a little to make it termcap-conforming.

Ciao
  jay