Date:      Mon, 13 Dec 1999 22:03:28 -0700
From:      Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
To:        freebsd-arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   The if_detach problem

if_detach doesn't, at least not completely.

That's a problem when you want to remove interfaces.  One problem is
that the routing system caches ifaddr and other things.  There is a
mechanism in place that could be used to clean things up.

In the protosw there is a ctlinput routine which accepts various
commands.  One way to deal with this is to send a new command when ifa
goes away.  Right now when we do if_down we send a PRC_IFDOWN.  Maybe
we need to invent a new PRC_, say PRC_IFDETACH.  Then we wouldn't need
the kludges in if_detach.  The ctlinput routines could then, in the
appropriate places, scrub the references to the interface that just
went away.

I'd like to go down this path, any comments?

Warner