Date:      Thu, 6 Dec 2001 22:02:16 +0100
From:      "Koster, K.J." <K.J.Koster@kpn.com>
To:        'Dave Glowacki' <dglo@hyde.ssec.wisc.edu>
Cc:        java@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: ports/32223: Port databases/mysql-jdbc-mm is quite outdated

Dear Dave,

> > > While waiting for that to be resolved, an alternative would be
> > > to update the port and mark it BROKEN due to corrupted jar files.
> > > That way, people who really need an updated driver could download
> > > the appropriate files from java.sun.com, do a 'make extract',
> > > replace the corrupted jar files, then finish building the port.
> > >
> > Hmm. How about filing my dumb install-the-bin port until
> > the problem is resolved?
>
> You'd still have the same problems with J2EE because of the
> corrupted jar files, right?  Or are those jar files distributed
> with the J2EE server?

They are part of the J2EE server distro.

Actually, that's a hack you could use: simply download orion1.5.2.zip from
orionserver.com, or even add www/orion as a dependency :) and extract the
necessary jar files from that as part of the install.

> I could pretty easily go back to the version of my port which
> patches the sources to remove all the J2EE stuff until the jar
> files are fixed.

Well, my entire reason for wanting to up the version number on the JDBC
driver is because it's too old to run with Orion properly. It'll run, but
there are bugs that have been fixed in 2.0.x that Orion needs. Hmm.
Actually, perhaps Orion will just work with the J2EE-stripped port. After
all, Orion also works with 1.2c.

Just commit the port as you made it, stripping J2EE, but with a message that
it's a cripple implementation until the jar files are fixed.

    Kees Jan