Date:      Fri, 17 Dec 1999 15:23:00 -0600
From:      "Richard Seaman, Jr." <dick@tar.com>
To:        Soren Schmidt <sos@freebsd.dk>
Cc:        djb@Wit389306.student.utwente.nl, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ATA driver problem?? (lost disk contact)

On Fri, Dec 17, 1999 at 02:28:29PM +0100, Soren Schmidt wrote:

> Because the wd driver has a 10 secs timeout, and ata has 5 secs.
> I think the easiest way to "solve" this is to increase the
> timeout to 10-15 secs, as little as I want to do that...

I don't really understand disk drivers, so if I'm off base,
I apologize.  I'm under the impression that you can query the
disk to see if its in idle mode, or if not, if its in standby
mode.  If you leave the timeout at 5 secs, and you actually
timeout, perhaps you can check the disk to see if its in
standby mode, or in the process of spinning up.  If so, for
just this case, perhaps you can adjust the timeout to a greater
value before retrying the command?  Also, perhaps you want to
skip printing the diagnostic if the timeout was due to
standby/spinup, unless it also fails on retry?

--
Richard Seaman, Jr.           email: dick@tar.com
5182 N. Maple Lane            phone: 262-367-5450