Date:      Thu, 5 Jun 2003 12:19:52 +0100
From:      Daniel Bye <dan@slightlystrange.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: killing sendmail, using exim

On Thu, Jun 05, 2003 at 07:06:02PM +0800, Robert Storey wrote:
> Sendmail is the default MTA, but I have Exim installed and now would like that to be my mail server. I'd like to be able to kill Sendmail startup permanently, and have Exim start at boot time, but I'm not sure how to do this.
>
> I did make an attempt. I edited /etc/rc.conf thus:
>
>   sendmail_enable="NO"

On more recent releases, set this to NONE - setting it to NO simply disables
sendmail for _incoming_ mail - it still starts a daemon for outgoing mail.

> and added a line saying
>
>   exim_enable="YES"

No such thing in rc.conf.  Instead, make sure the exim start script in
/usr/local/etc/rc.d is named correctly (should be exim.sh - if it ends in
anything other than ".sh", rc will ignore it), and that it is executable by
root.

You will also need to tweak /usr/local/etc/exim/configure to meet your
specific requirements.

> This does not seem to have worked, as the "ps" command still reports the presence of Sendmail but nothing about Exim. I've checked to make sure Exim is installed:

Make sure you kill sendmail before starting exim:

 # killall sendmail
 # /usr/local/etc/rc.d/exim.sh start

And you should be set.  You shouldn't need to restart the machine, but the
startup script will start exim for you when you do reboot.

>   bob@sonic:~> which exim
>   /usr/local/sbin/exim
>
> I did a grep though the BSD FAQ and the handbook - both had only one sentence mentioning Exim, saying nothing other than it exists. "FreeBSD Unleashed" wasn't much more enlightening, so any advice will be appreciated.

I guess due to the large number of available MTA's, it's not practical to
include docs that cover all of them - or people haven't yet written them...

Dan

--
Daniel Bye

PGP Key fingerprint: 3D73 AF47 D448 C5CA 88B4 0DCF 849C 1C33 3C48 2CDC
                                                                     _
                                              ASCII ribbon campaign ( )
                                         - against HTML, vCards and  X
                                - proprietary attachments in e-mail / \