Date:      Sat, 14 Dec 2002 23:25:26 +0100
From:      Alex <akruijff@dds.nl>
To:        phk@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        Johnson David <DavidJohnson@Siemens.com>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re[2]: 80386 out of GENERIC

Dear/Beste phk,

Saturday, December 14, 2002, 10:14:20 PM, you wrote:

> In message <635948263.20021214220720@dds.nl>, Alex writes:
>>
>>Dear/Beste Johnson,
>>
>>I read this on the advocacy list.
>>
>>Tuesday, November 19, 2002, 7:56:44 PM, you wrote:
>>
>>> Support for the 80386 processor has been removed from the GENERIC kernel. The
>>> default FreeBSD kernel is now more optimized for modern CPUs. No longer do
>>> you have to settle for performance draining compatibility with hardware you
>>> haven't owned in a decade.
>>
>>I don't feel this is a good decision. (I still have a 486, act as a
>>small server and a 286 witch is in storage) This basally means that
>>any one who doesn't have the latest processor can't install FreeBSD.

> No it doesn't mean that.

> FreeBSD still runs on all 386 family CPUs, the only difference is that
> if you want to run it on a 80386 you need to enable an option in
> your kernel config file.

> It will out of the box run on 486 and anything later.

It means that you can not install FreeBSD on a 386 unless you have a
486+ machine that can compile a new FreeBSD system and have a way to
get that version to the 386.

My assumption was for such case. Lets say a home user with a pentium
II with Windows 98 and his old 386 as a FreeBSD server.

--
Best regards/Met vriendelijke groet,
Alex