Date:      Wed, 22 Dec 2004 08:49:25 +0200
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
To:        Zachary Huang <bees.msu@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: upgrading from 4.2 to 4.10, succeeded, but still boots 4.2! Help!!!

On 2004-12-22 01:26, Zachary Huang <bees.msu@gmail.com> wrote:
> My old system was 4.2 and I was trying to upgrade to 4.10.
>
> here is what I managed to do:
>
> 1). cvsup to RELENG_4_10
> here is the supfile
>
> *default host=ftp5.FreeBSD.org
> *default base=/usr
> *default prefix=/home/ncvs
> *default release=cvs tag=RELENG_4_10
> *default delete use-rel-suffix
> src-all
> ports-all
>
> which seemed to be successful (did not see the final message because
> too many spams filling on my screen, but it was going for a good 30
> min -- could it have stopped in the middle?)  -- how do I stop the
> rejected spams showing on the console? very annoying.

Hint:

This is probably a result of syslog sending the messages to
`/dev/console', which is ttyv0 after you have booted.  The way I see it,
you have two options:

	1. Do not login on ttyv0.
	2. Redirect the syslog messages to some other vty (i.e. ttyvb)

On systems where I can actually sit in front of the machine, having
access to all the vtys, I usually replace /dev/console with /dev/ttyvb
in syslog.conf.  This still lets me read the messages by hitting ALT+F12
but doesn't clutter the terminals where I may actually login with syslog
messages.

Having said that, pay careful attention to the subtle difference of
"base" and "prefix".  If you really used _this_ supfile shown above,
it seems that you have downloaded a new source tree under /home/ncvs :-)

> 2). then I proceeded to  follow the book:
>         make buildworld
>         (config MYKERNEL --this was not in the book)**this should not
> mess things up?
>         make buildkernel KERNEL=MYkernel
>         make installkernel KERNEL=MYkernel
>         reboot  (in single user) [1]
>         make installworld
>         mergemaster
>         reboot
>
> no error messages doing all the above steps.

The `config MYKERNEL' part is redundant (not to mention error-prone, if
you are not relatively familiar with the FreeBSD kernel build process).
The buildkernel target handles that just fine.

I noticed that you used "MYKERNEL" as the kernel config name in the
first command, but "MYkernel" in the rest.  Capitalization of the kernel
configuration file name *does* matter.

> 4). So I recompiled the kernel by doing:
>  cd /usr/src/sys/i386/conf
>  /usr/sbin/config Mykernel
> /cd ../../compile/Mykernel
> make depend
> make
> make install

Comments about capitalization of "Mykernel" apply here too.