Date:      Sat, 11 Oct 1997 21:24:15 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Matthew Hayton <mhayton@watt.ee.vt.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   term probs

	I recently installed FreeBSD-2.2.2 Release and am having problems
with the terminal type.  For example, in order to connect to by friend's
linux box, i have to redefine the term type ('env def TERM vt100') under
telnet, otherwise the connection is refused.  When connecting to my
school's sun workstations, applications like pine, fail to page text
properly (the very last line on the screen is the only thing that
changes).
	I've tried setting my term type from cons25 to vt100, however when
I do this, `clear` clears the screen but leaves the prompt in the middle
of the screen after it has been cleared.  I've also tried using vt200, but
again connecting hosts don't seem to recognize this type and some
applications like vi and pine act wierd.
	So, if anybody has any ideas or suggestions on what I could do to
correct this, I'd appreciate it.

						th