Date:      Fri, 27 Jul 2007 08:44:31 +0200
From:      "Christian Walther" <cptsalek@gmail.com>
To:        tannercurrie@yahoo.com
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: PS/2 problems

Hi Tanner,

On 27/07/07, Tanner Currie <tannercurrie@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi I just installed FreeBSD 6.2 and it's working great
> except my keyboard (PS/2 connected) cuts in and out. I
> tested the keyboard which works perfectly on another
> machine. It will work fine for 5 or 10 minutes and
> then it cuts in and out (it also beeps sometimes
> before it dies). I was suspicious of a purely physical
> problem but sometimes it will be completely
> unresponsive and 30 seconds later it will puke out
> everything I was trying to type. I also plugged in a
> PS/2 to USB adapter thinking I could try a different
> door but that was completely dead (I don't know how to
> diagnose the USB connection). Any advise?

I don't remember that a PS/2 keyboard contains some sort of buffer
that can store several key presses. What you describe sounds as if
some part of your kernel locks up. Maybe you've got an interrupt
problem somewhere, or some other piece of hardware is broken.

Firstly, what configuration do you have? Are you using a GENERIC
kernel, or one you compiled on your own? In case you built your own
kernel: Does this happen when you switch to GENERIC, too?
What HW are you on? An output of dmesg would be great here.

Is your system networked? If your answer is yes here: When the problem
occurs, are you able to access the machine from another computer? E.g.
does it respond to anything from a remote machine?

Christian