Date:      Tue, 16 Oct 2001 14:31:23 -0500
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        "Aaron" <click46@webpimps.net>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: So lets say you *didnt* use mergemaster...

Aaron <click46@webpimps.net> types:
> Ignorance is bliss isnt it?

I thought cocaine was bliss.....

> I've noticed that just about any FreeBSD user I talk to uses mergemaster
> after building the world. Well I didnt. And it works fine [its a HLDS
> server] but this has me worried. What log term effects will my stupidity
> have? I know mergemaster updates config files - but this server has only
> a few things changed from the default, so should I just go for it now?

Read through the archives. A regularly occuring problem is that login
quits working because the pam was updated, names of things in the
config file change, and the old config didn't disable the new names.

Similar problems can happen with other programs. You also miss bug
fixes and the lack in the system startup. If you've changed very
little, then mergemaster is mostly a matter of telling it to install
things.

Personally, I read the diff listings - that's a clue as to what's been
changed that I might want to take advantage of.

	<mike
Q: How do you make the gods laugh?		A: Tell them your plans.