Date:      Sat, 20 Sep 1997 18:42:28 +0200 (CEST)
From:      torstenb@onizuka.tb.9715.org (Torsten Blum)
To:        root@bmccane.uit.net (Wm Brian McCane)
Cc:        gjennejohn@frt.dec.com, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ISDN Modems

Wm Brian McCane wrote:

> Only 7.5kB/sec?  I am now very confused.  I get 6kB/s throughput from my
> 33.6 most of the time.  Of course I am usually transferring news/mail so they
> are highly compressible.

7.5kB/sec are without compression of course.

> Do any of the plug-in cards do LZ compression, or anything similar?

Uh, well, compression and ISDN is a different story.
V.42bis for example need error correction. In the early days of ISDN here
in Germany, some Routers used V.42bis together with LAP-B framing, but
IP-in-HDLC framing was more popular, but it did not support V.42bis.

PPP-over-ISDN is the standard for transmitting IP over ISDN links. With
CCP you can even support more than one compression algorithm. The most
common compression alg. used for PPP and ISDN is STAC. Most Routers and
Accesss-Server support it. Unfortunately STAC is patented and you have to
pay lots of money for a licence. There are other compression algorithms
for which even a rfc describes the operation with PPP, but they're not
widespread. Ciscos are the only one that support Predictor1 as far as I know.
In discussions with people from other manufacturers the answer is always
the same: There's no or not enough demand for it.

 -tb