Date:      Fri, 9 Aug 1996 13:49:25 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Inacio Fonseca <sousa@isr.uc.pt>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: GENERIC KERNEL

On Fri, 9 Aug 1996, Inacio Fonseca wrote:

> 	I have installed the FreeBSD, and I have some difficulties to
> 	get the kernel to detect my CD-ROM. I have compiled the GENERIC
> 	configuration, and it just detects the CD-ROM after the second
> 	startup (and just if I open the CD-ROM door). I am not using
> 	the devices mcd0... but the wcd0 in the second controller wdc1.

OK.

> 	I thought it was some problem in the CD-ROM cable, but the
> 	MS-DOS detects the CD at the first time, so it's not.
> 	So How can I fixe the problem?

If it's detecting it, then it should work.  You many need to do

su; cd /dev; sh MAKEDEV wcd0

> 	I really dont now if is important but I have installed the
> 	FreeBSD 2.2 CURRENT.

You should be subscribed to freebsd-current, which is where this question
truly belongs.

> 	Another question:I get the pgcc compiler using the ports
> 	collection but when I try to recompile the system (in single
> 	user, and I am talking about the kernel), I get some errors
> 	in final linker stage (I think the compiler performs any kind
> 	of optimization and get out some variables definitions, that
> 	maybe are not used in the file where it is declared).
> 	So, there is any different Makefile for PGCC?

I don't think pgcc is trusted enough to compile the kernel yet.  You
probably need to modify the CFLAGS in the Makefile and remove the -O flag.