Date:      Wed, 27 Dec 2006 16:25:21 -0800
From:      Doug Barton <dougb@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Jan Knepper <jan@digitaldaemon.com>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org, Tim McCullagh <tim@halenet.com.au>, Mario Theodoridis <mario-dated-1167617290.71c9c2@schmut.com>, FreeBSD Hackers <FreeBSD-Hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: 6.1-RELEASE / 6.2 Kernel Crash...

[Attempting to redirect this to -stable, where it's more appropriate.]

Jan Knepper wrote:
> FreeBSD 5.x branch run on that machine for almost 2 years without a
> problem and magically the same time period in *hours* that I upgrade the
> machine I get hardware problems too? Not an impossible coincidence, but
> not very likely...

Depends on how you did the upgrade. Was the machine running
continuously for 2 years, then you turned it off, then you did the
upgrade? I had a box die that way because (we found out later) that
the system drive's spindle had "issues" that were not apparent until
it had been turned off, cooled down, then spun (sort of) back up.

IOW, you're probably right, but "magical" hardware problems that
develop during upgrade periods are more common than a lot of people
realize.

Meanwhile, back at the ranch, if you can't easily get a serial console
up and running, your earlier suggestion of putting the box back to the
last known good 5.x release is a good one. At least that can help rule
out hardware _failure_, as opposed to hardware-used-differently issues.

hth,

Doug