Date:      Mon, 18 Nov 2013 22:20:01 +0100
From:      Matthias Andree <mandree@FreeBSD.org>
To:        freebsd-toolchain@freebsd.org
Subject:   clang++ 3.3 issue (excessively slow compile vs. gcc 4.6 in just one file of a port)

[Please keep me in Cc:, I am not subscribed.]

Greetings,

I have recently spent some efforts getting rawtherapee to compile on
10-stable.  I think I succeeded, and came across something I find worth
investigating.

For just one of rawtherapee's files, clang++ 3.3's compile time is
excessively long, compared both to the other files, as well as against
gcc 4.6.

System: FreeBSD 10.0-BETA3 #1 r258178: Fri Nov 15 20:00:11 CET 2013
toor@vmf10:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC

Compiler: FreeBSD clang version 3.3 (tags/RELEASE_33/final 183502) 20130610
Target: x86_64-unknown-freebsd10.0
Thread model: posix

The port as it currently stands hacks the cmake-generated build.make to
compile ipsharpen.cc with only -O1 option.  If I remove that patch, so
that the port compiles with -O2 or -O3, compiling that single file takes
too long for me to wait for it, in excess of 10 minutes, on my 2.5 GHz
AMD Phenom II X4.  GCC 4.6 does not exhibit such behaviour.

I have not yet isolated what might cause this, how would I best go about
that so we can pin this issue and possibly fix clang++?

Thanks.

Best regards
Matthias