Date:      Thu, 15 Jul 2004 12:32:15 -0400
From:      Anish Mistry <mistry.7@osu.edu>
To:        freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG, conrads@cox.net
Cc:        4Front Technologies <dev@opensound.com>
Subject:   Re: Does anyone compose music using any of the portsfromthe/ports/audio collection in FreeBSD?

On Thursday 15 July 2004 01:28 am, Conrad J. Sabatier wrote:
> On 14-Jul-2004 4Front Technologies wrote:
> > I think ALSA is going to be really [difficult] to port to FreeBSD
> > (without a lot of internal changes to FreeBSD kernel) because of
> > high dependance on the Linux's /proc file system and Linux system
> > calls that just arn't available for FreeBSD.
>
> Yes, most unfortunate that is.  I do believe this is one area where
> FreeBSD should concede the fact that the other guys are doing a better
> job at it than we are, and not resist the idea of borrowing from them.
>
> > OSS apps for Linux work nicely with FreeBSD's Linux emulation (case
> > in point, check out Skype for Linux).
>
> Perhaps, but still, native support is what we need and want.
>
> Speaking of which, I was browsing 4Front's site the other day and was a
> little disappointed to see that even the existing FreeBSD support is
> not available for amd64.  Is that likely to change anytime in the
> future?
>
> > I'm not sure how well a Linux binary that has a high reliance on
> > /proc and other Linux oddities will work on FreeBSD.
>
> My guess would be "not very well at all".  :-)
>
> > OSS is designed with "pure" UNIX sematics -
> > read/write/ioctl/poll/mmap and nothing else. Ofcourse I could be
> > wrong about porting ALSA. Just that from our experiences on
> > developing the ALSA emulation, it looked highly suspect.
>
> Perhaps it's time to consider that what's needed is a new framework for
> sound development.  If the existing "pure Unix semantics" are
> insufficient, then there's nothing wrong with a little innovation.
>
> > It's actually easier to add OSS support to most apps. The problem is
> > that none of the app developers have really understood OSS
> > sequencers because they are lowlevel. ALSA provides better high
> > level abstraction but we have already done a libOSSlib.a sequencer
> > abstraction for OSS - nobody bothered with it.
>
> That's a shame.  I suspect it may have largely to do with the fact
> that, as someone else mentioned in this thread, until we have better
> hardware sound device support -- say, the ability to interface a MIDI
> keyboard or even simply supporting *all* of a particular card's
> capabilities-- then whatever such a library may have to offer will
> still be of limited usefulness.

=2D From the big picture this is main problem with most obscure OSs like th=
e=20
=46reeBSD is getting hardware support.  Part of the problem is that it's a=
=20
volunteer effort, but as I see it that in itself isn't holding back device=
=20
support as much as manufactures not providing chipset specs (I have a whole=
=20
spiel about getting my Cirrus Logic chipset sound card not to sound like=20
crap, but I digress)  etc., but 4front doesn't seem to have that problem as=
=20
they support a ton of cards.
I don't think there is anyone actively maintaining any of the other sound=20
drivers besides the emku* ever since Orion Hodson got too busy to actively=
=20
work on them.  I've been trying to get up to snuff on kernel stuff like=20
patching the csa driver so my sound cards internal amp is turned on, a smal=
l=20
acpi add on kernel module for my laptop, and some various usb stuff.  I'll=
=20
try and take a look at the open() stuff and see if I can help, but my skill=
s=20
are lacking.
I should give the OSS drivers another try, hopefully they don't panic my=20
machine like before.
=2D --=20
Anish Mistry