Date:      Fri, 20 Aug 1999 11:39:06 +0400 (MSD)
From:      "Andrew L. Neporada" <fbsdmail@sign.chg.ru>
To:        Marion Sutcliffe <marion.sutcliffe@sympatico.ca>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Where are kern&mfsroot.flp?

On Fri, 20 Aug 1999, Marion Sutcliffe wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Just starting to work up the courage to install freeBSD, and I've got a few
> questions that I couldn't find answers for on the freeBSD site...
>
> - How do I download the kern.flp and mfsroot.flp files - are these on the
> freeBSD ftp site somewhere?

If you want to install 3.2-RELEASE, try to look at
ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/3.2-RELEASE/floppies

> - I've used fips on my single 10.G IDE drive (FAT32, LBA) to create a
> partition for Win98 (was already installed) and a second partition for
> unix. Do I need do anything to this 2nd partition e.g. format it, or
> partition it further before I install?
No, nothing special. You have not to create partition for FreeBSD from
DOS. Just keep enough free unused space. When you boot from floppy,
FreeBSD will create partitions and install boot manager.

> - Any known compatability problems with Crystal PnP sound chip (on the
> motherboard) or 3D RagePro AGP video card or a Toshiba DVD-ROM SD-M1202?
> - I'm using LBA, and my first partition (for Win98) is about 5.5G - will
> unix have any problem booting on the 2nd partition?
> - About how long would it take to download freeBSD over a 56k modem (in the
> wee hours of the morning)?

3.2-RELEASE distribution is about 200M (with sources and X).
So it is highly recommended to choose apropriate mirror ;-)