Date:      Tue, 19 Dec 2000 20:41:35 -0800
From:      "Jason" <kib@mediaone.net>
To:        <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   DHCP Client

I have been having a huge problem with DHCP IP addresses provided by my ISP
on a DSL line.  I am beginning to think it might be something on my side
since none of my Win9x boxes ever have this trouble but both of my BSD boxes
do this ever couple weeks.  My ISP is worthless as I have had a ticket open
with them in "Emergency Status" for several days now and it is pending
review from Tier 2 (who never answers the phone when I call)

Besides my dealings with my poor ISP whoich will remain nameless (covad) for
now I am thinking the only common factor I can find s OS so I thought I have
better ask here.

My ISP formed me to switch to DHCP from a static IP and ever since I get ip
conflicts from time to time.  BSD reports the ip is already in use and I
lose all intenret connectivity.
upon runing hdclient I get the following message:
ipconfig: ioctl (SIOCAIFADDR): File exists
<date/time> dhclient:  Can't bind to dhcp address: Address already in use
<same message again>
<same message again>
<date/time> dhclient: exiting
<same message again>
<same message again>

My oonly indication the problem exists is my apache server rufuses all
connections because it cant contact the DNS server for lookups (security
feature I must impliment for all who login)

Obviously the ip is accepting connections if users can reach my web server
at all...I can even telnet to the box until I run dhclient...then all ip
access is lost until my dhcp lease expires (every 24 hours) or sometimes
longer.  The current outage is over 5 days old.

Also would be nice if I caould at least find a command that lists the ip and
mac address of a particualr interface.  All attempts to search handbook and
mailing list come up completely empty which I find real odd.  Even when I
search on "ip" I get nothing in the mailing lists and lots of unrealted
items from the handbook.  So I can only assume this command is either
nonexistant or so blindingly obvious no one ever asks this question.

Thanks

I have many more problems to follow...but one at a time...I am sick and
tired of dealing with all these problems as the longer they exist the more
service affecting they seem to become.