Date:      Sat, 9 Mar 1996 19:17:22 -0500 (EST)
From:      cau@cc.gatech.edu (Carlos Ugarte)
To:        joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de
Cc:        kuku@gilberto.physik.rwth-aachen.de, pedrosal@nce.ufrj.br, questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Boot with 4 hard disks

> > > I have 4 hard disks (2 IDE and 2 SCSI), and installed FreeBSD on the
> > > second SCSI disk. How do I boot there?
> >
> > Either disable the IDE disks in the BIOS/CMOS or
> > use the hd(0,a)/kernel option in the FreeBSD boot.The latter requiring
> > to label the IDE disks with a FreeBSD label and write a boot block
> > to it.
>
> You could also tweak your kernel config file and wire the SCSI disks
> to what the bootstrap claims they were (sd2 and sd3, i suppose).

Yet another way is to edit one of the bootblock files.  I've got
2 IDEs and 1 SCSI, with 2.1-RELEASE booting off the SCSI.
FreeBSD installed fine on the SCSI drive, and would boot, but
halfway through the boot process would reboot.  If you disable
the IDEs in your BIOS, and boot directly, you can edit
/usr/src/sys/i386/boot/biosboot/boot.c to "hardcode" your drive
in there.  Turns out it was passing the wrong drive (sd2 instead
of sd0) to the kernel.

Carlos

--
Carlos A. Ugarte                                cau@cc.gatech.edu
Author of PageMage, a virtual desktop util for OS/2