Date:      Sun, 12 Jul 1998 11:53:41 -0400 (edt)
From:      Vince Vielhaber <vev@michvhf.com>
To:        Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
Cc:        Forrest Aldrich <forrie@forrie.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Ghost processes being left around

On Sun, 12 Jul 1998, Doug White wrote:

> On Fri, 10 Jul 1998, Forrest Aldrich wrote:
>
> > I have a fully-updated (CVSup) FreeBSD-2.2.6 systems... and have noticed
> > that when someone disconnects, there are ghost processes left hanging.  For
> > example, I was connected via SSH and disconnected while doing a tail -f....
> > I logged back in, and the process was still there.  This has happened
> > several times.
>
> Can't say I'm experiencing the same problem.

I am.  I've seen it since 2.1.0 (never paid attn before that).  In fact
yesterday I lost connection while I had two ssh sessions active.  Later
I noticed they were still there so I killed them both.  Still 'last' shows
I still have those two processes open, but 'w' only shows one.  Had I not
killed the two last nite they'd probably still be there.  This is with
2.2.6-RELEASE.

Vince.
Vince Vielhaber -- KA8CSH   email: vev@michvhf.com   flame-mail: /dev/null
       # include <std/disclaimers.h>                   TEAM-OS2
   Online Searchable Campground Listings    http://www.camping-usa.com
       "There is no outfit less entitled to lecture me about bloat
               than the federal government"  -- Tony Snow