Date:      Sun, 15 Aug 2004 14:56:25 +0200
From:      Patrick Hurrelmann <outi@bytephobia.de>
To:        Colin Percival <colin.percival@wadham.ox.ac.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Looking for Pentium M owners...

On Sat, 14 Aug 2004 21:01:42 -0700
Colin Percival <colin.percival@wadham.ox.ac.uk> wrote:

> I'm currently writing Enhanced SpeedStep code for FreeBSD, and Intel's
> lack of documentation is getting in the way.  I think I've managed to
> find the MSR with the data I need, but I need some people with Pentium
> M processors to run a quick test for me to verify this.  In particular,
> I really need results from the new 90nm Pentium M processors (these are
> the ones with model numbers -- "Pentium M 735", "Pentium M 745", etc).
>
> What I need people with Pentium M processors to do is this:
> 1. Download and extract http://www.daemonology.net/tmp/dumpmsr.tgz
> 2. `make`
> 3. `kldload ./dumpmsr.ko`
> 4. `kldunload dumpmsr`
>
> When you kldload, it should print three lines; please send me those,
> along with the output of `sysctl hw.model`, and (if you know) the
> model name/number under which Intel advertises your processor.
>
> IF YOU ARE NOT RUNNING A PENTIUM M PROCESSOR, THIS WILL PROBABLY CRASH
> YOUR MACHINE.
>
> If I get the results I'm hoping for out of this, I'll probably have an
> Enhanced SpeedStep kernel module available for 5.x within the next week.
>
> Colin Percival

Yeehaw ;)
that's great. Here's the output of my Dell Latitude D600:

[root@mobility:/home/ouTi-Mobile/downloads#] kldload ./dumpmsr.ko
high speed = 1300 MHz, 1388 mv
low speed = 600 MHz, 956 mv
MSR[0x198] = 6100d2b06000d2b
[root@mobility:/home/ouTi-Mobile/downloads#]

Dmesg:
CPU: Intel(R) Pentium(R) M processor 1300MHz (1295.80-MHz 686-class CPU)
  Origin = "GenuineIntel"  Id = 0x695  Stepping = 5
 Features=0xa7e9f9bf<FPU,VME,DE,PSE,TSC,MSR,MCE,CX8,SEP,MTRR,PGE,MCA,CMOV,PAT,C
LFLUSH,DTS,ACPI,MMX,FXSR,SSE,SSE2,TM,PBE>
real memory  = 536535040 (511 MB)
avail memory = 515358720 (491 MB)
acpi0: <DELL CPi R  > on motherboard
Timecounter "ACPI-fast" frequency 3579545 Hz quality 1000
acpi_timer0: <24-bit timer at 3.579545MHz> port 0x808-0x80b on acpi0
cpu0: <ACPI CPU (4 Cx states)> on acpi0

[root@mobility:/home/ouTi-Mobile/downloads#] sysctl -a | grep hw.model
hw.model: Intel(R) Pentium(R) M processor 1300MHz
[root@mobility:/home/ouTi-Mobile/downloads#]

I hope this helps.

Patrick Hurrelmann         | "Programming today is a race between software
Mannheim, Germany          |  engineers striving to build bigger and better
outi at bytephobia.de      |  to produce bigger and better idiots. So far,
www.bytephobia.de          |  the Universe is winning."         - Rich Cook