Date:      25 Oct 2000 09:44:43 -0400
From:      Allan Strand <stranda@cofc.edu>
To:        Tim McMillen <timcm@umich.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Choosing a fairly high-speed compute server

Thanks for the pointers.

I think it has some parallizability, but frankly I am daunted by the
networking hassles of creating a cluster.  I already spend plenty of
time maintaining my toy network of a few boxes.  Right now, I am
leaning towards a couple of cheap hi-speed boxes performing completely
separate runs of the simulation independently.

a.

Tim McMillen <timcm@umich.edu> writes:
> Depending on how parralizable your process is, you might want to look into
> creating a cluster. You may be able to do it more cheaply.
> See http://acme.ecn.purdue.edu   They did get lucky with part
> availability.
> 	Also for price / performance the AMD Duron beats the P3 easily.
> See www.cpuscorecard.com/cpu_latest.htm
> www.tomshardware.com/cpu/00q4/001017/athlon-09.html
> if that link doesn't work look for the cpu guide.
> or just search Tom's hardware for Duron.  The FP performance kills the P3,
> while most other things are a little behind.
>
> You could create 2 or more boxes using Duron Chips and use them as a
> cluster.  The one drawback is that as of august there were no chipsets
> for the Duron that could handle ECC memory.  Don't know if that was a
> requirement for you.  The ECC supporting chipsets were on the way
> supposedly.  Hope that helps
> 					Tim
>

> On 23 Oct 2000, Allan Strand wrote:
>
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I have written a pretty complex simulation in c++.  It seems to work
> > pretty well at the moment, but it is too slow for my liking.  I am in
> > the process of optimizing the code, but there is a point where that
> > will not help speed things up.  The program does lots of memory
> > allocation/deallocation and that seems to be it's speed downfall.
> >
> > So, I need a new box and I wanted to solicit input on some choices.
> > First of all, I really plan to have this box dedicated to
> > computational problems only, so I don't really need soundboards, fancy
> > monitors, modems, etc.  All that is required is a NIC, >= 256M ram,
> > and high cpu+cache+bus performance.  Of course I want to minimize
> > price.  The program could probably be threaded at a gross level, so
> > SMP might ultimately be an option (even if not threaded?), but I was
> > thinking of starting with a 800Mhz PIII machine.  Does this rambling
> > make sense?  Can FBSD utilize the PIII features?  Is there a
> > hi-performance computation in FBSD FAQ?
> >
> > TIA
> >
> > a.
> > --
> > Allan Strand

Allan Strand,   Biology    http://linum.cofc.edu
College of Charleston      Ph. (843) 953-8085
Charleston, SC 29424       Fax (843) 953-5453