Date:      Wed, 14 Feb 2001 18:00:00 +0300
From:      "Andrey Simonenko" <simon@comsys.ntu-kpi.kiev.ua>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: kernel.GENERIC Vs. kernel in /

You can delete /kernel.GENERIC, but if you install new kernel and for the
same reson delete /kernel.old before new kernel checking and new kernel will
not work, you will have to find somewhere floppy disk with correct kernel to
bootstrap your system. It is better to have kernel.GENERIC and you should be
able to bootstrap your system with it, even if you install/deinstall some
hardware from your system,etc.

Brad Watts <bwatts@corp.netcom.ca> wrote in message
> This may be a very silly question, but what is the difference between the
kernel.GENERIC Vs. kernel? I've safely recompiled my kernel a whihle ago and
want to clear some space on my root partition. Can I safely delete
kernel.GENERIC ?