Date:      Fri, 9 Apr 1999 10:55:50 +1000
From:      Peter Jeremy <peter.jeremy@auss2.alcatel.com.au>
To:        grog@lemis.com
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Volume managers

Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com> wrote:
>On Thursday,  8 April 1999 at 15:28:40 +1000, Peter Jeremy wrote:
>> The `clone filesystem' command supported by
>> Digital UNIX ADVfs is _very_ nice for `point-in-time' backups.

> The main problem is yet another layer of "where do I get
>this byte from?".

ADVfs uses the free list within the FS (actually within the file
domain).  This _does_ mean that clonefset doesn't work on very full,
dynamic filesystems.  The upside is that it works most of the time
and doesn't require reserved free disk space.  If there's no free
space left, a kernel error message is generated warning that the
clone filesystem is no longer consistent (but I don't think it
actually inhibits access to it).

Peter