Date:      Sat, 12 Dec 1998 12:05:14 -0800 (PST)
From:      John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
To:        krentel@dreamscape.com
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: file modes in CVS repository

In article <199812120237.VAA05729@dreamscape.com>,
Mark W. Krentel <krentel@dreamscape.com> wrote:
> I'm wondering about the permissions on files checked out of the CVS
> repository from Attic directories.  I noticed this while updating
> my /etc files from 2.2.7 to 2.2.8.  In my repository, everything
> in /home/ncvs/src/etc/Attic has mode 0444, so /usr/src/etc/daily,
> weekly, and monthly checked out as 0644.  I updated /etc with these
> new versions, and thus they didn't have execute permission.

The various Makefiles under /usr/src/etc take care to install the
files with the proper permissions.  Just copying the files to /etc
isn't the best way to install them.  In general, it's risky to
depend on execute permissions being set properly for checked-out
sources.  Both CVS and CVSup try to do the right thing.  But people
often accidentally check files _in_ with the wrong permissions to
begin with.  The best plan is to let the Makefiles take care of the
details for you.

>  1. First, cvs does use the mode of the ,v file to set the mode
>     of the checked out file?

Yes, but sometimes the mode of the ,v file is wrong.

>  2. Should /home/ncvs/src/etc/Attic/daily have mode 0444?

I wouldn't say it _should_ have that mode.  But it _does_ have that
mode in the master repository on freefall.

>     Is this generally true of Attic files?

Nope, it has nothing to do with the Attic.

>     Or, is my repository messed up?

Nope.

>  3. Does cvsup check and set the modes on ,v files when fetching
>     the entire repository?  (And thus whatever the permissions are,
>     they originate from the master repository?)

Yes.

> I don't think I'm doing anything odd with my repository.  I'm using
> cvsup 15.4.2 with this cvsup file:
>
>   *default prefix=/home/ncvs
>   *default base=/var/cvsup
>   *default host=cvsup3.freebsd.org
>   *default delete  use-rel-suffix  compress
>   cvs-all  release=cvs

That looks fine to me.

John
  "Nobody ever went broke underestimating the taste of the American public."
                                                            -- H. L. Mencken