Date:      Wed, 25 Feb 1998 13:51:39 -0330 (NST)
From:      Jeffery Gallagher <jeffg@cs.mun.ca>
To:        freebsd-bugs@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Install of 2.2.5

After many attempts at installation, several posts to the mail lists and
consultation with any individual that I could think of to solve my
problem I am still stuck with no solution.

Upon install of the generic kernel (i.e. initial install) the
installation process hangs on detection of the SCSI devices. The software
detects the presence of the Adaptec 2940UW (AIC 7880?) on the correct PCI
slot and interrupt. The kernel then provides the message "Waiting for
scsi devices to settle" (Which I believe from looking at the source for
2.2.2 should be around 5 seconds) The "settling period" extends to almost
30 seconds at which point a timeout is reported, an error is buffered,
and then the detection is started over again with the next SCSI ID.

As possible solutions to this problem we have checked termination on all
cables, removed each of the scsi drives or a series of the drives
(because we are using both Wide and narrow connectors on the UW we
thought this might have been a source of conflict. In fact even if there
are NO devices attatched and we boot from floppy we recieve a "board not
responding" message and the above error. This would seemingly eliminate
problems with termination drives, cable length etc. As for settings on
the SCSI card we have tried lowering the throughput rate, enabling and
disabling disconnection, running with and without the bios enabled,
sending init command etc. In fact I think we have exhausted just about
every option in the Adaptec SCSI setup utility - all to no provail.

The response from the mailing lists was similar to the efforts mentioned
above. Upon checking the problem database we see several occurances of
timeout errors resembling VERY closely to the ones we are experienceing
only they were with an earlier release and were only problems under
heavy loads. We can not even get to the point which would initiate a
load on the system.

If you have any knowledge of this problem or have any solution
suggestions they would be welcome.

Just some system specific information:

Pentium 200MMX - Acer Mainboard with VX chipset
32 MB RAM
Adaptec 2940UW - Bios Rev. 1.32
Attached SCSI Devices:
SEAGATE ST1200N (Narrow)