Date:      Wed, 22 Mar 2000 17:12:05 -0600 (CST)
From:      Alex Charalabidis <alex@wnm.net>
To:        William Gronim <william@brainlink.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 3.4,  SSH port,  gai_strerror()

On Wed, 22 Mar 2000, William Gronim wrote:

> Hello.
>
> 	I recently cvsup'd my Jan 25 3.4-STABLE source to a current
> 3.4-STABLE. I downloaded the latest ports.tar.gz and
> attempted to rebuild the ssh (not openssh) port. However,
> when the build process attempts to link the ssh binary it
> fails because it can't resolve the gai_strerror() symbol,
> and a variety of other hostname resolution related functions. Bind
> (/usr/src/contrib/bind) compiles and installs cleanly, but a 'find / |
> xargs nm > out; grep gai_strerror out' only finds gai_strerror defined
> in the object files in bind's compile directory! Shouldn't the bind
> hostname resolution functions be part of libc? How should I
>
> 	Please respond directly as I am not subscribed to
> this list. Thank you.

I had something similar happen to me during a few buildworlds a couple
of months ago. Libbind seemed to be the culprit then and I suspect it's
also your problem here. I tried a few solutions and kludges, none of them
worked out so I ended up wiping /usr/src and fetching the entire source
tree anew. Maybe that's the simplest option.

hth

-ac

Alex Charalabidis (AC8139)            5050 Poplar Ave, Ste 170
Systems Administrator                        Memphis, TN 38157
WebNet Memphis                                  (901) 432 6000
Author, The Book of IRC              http://www.bookofirc.com/