Date:      Thu, 12 Mar 1998 15:59:36 -0500 (EST)
From:      Spike Gronim <spork@cncn.com>
To:        Gregory Edigarov <greg@cc.ac.kharkov.ua>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: VTY question

On Thu, 12 Mar 1998, Gregory Edigarov wrote:

> Hello!
>
> By default, all BSD systems gives only 8 vtys (Alt-F1...AltF8)...
> And I can't found any reason to limit this number.
> In Linux, I was able to use all 12 vtys. Is anywhere a workaround for this
> problem?
>

> With best regards,
>           Gregory Edigarov               greg@cc.ac.kharkov.ua

To get more ttys, I set "options MAXCONS=##" in my kernel config, ## being
thirteen in my case or whatever else you want. Then I cd'd to /dev and
went "./MAKEDEV vtyc", which made the terminal devices. Then, edit
/etc/ttys to include entries identical to that of ttyv1 for all the new
ttys. Then, "kill -HUP 1" as root and the changes to /etc/ttys will take
effect and you will have many ttys.

	-Spike Gronim
	 spork@cncn.com

		"Hacker, n: One who hacks real good"