Date:      Sat, 14 Dec 2002 14:35:19 -0800 (PST)
From:      Galen Sampson <galen_sampson@yahoo.com>
To:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   named timeouts on localhost

Hello all,

I recently during a configuration of a diskless workstation I decided to set up
named to use with the isc-dhcpd3 port.  I have configured named to my liking.
Unfortunately when I try to connect using ssh the connection times out because
sshd cannot resolve the name of the connecting host.  If I log into the machine
running named I found that if I type nslookup I get nameserver timeouts.  If I
type nslookup on another machine on the network (which uses the machine in
question as its nameserver) all queries work exactly as expected.  When I run
tcpdump -i lo0 I find that the queries are sent.  Named logs the query (query
loggin is turned on) so I know named recieves the queries.  Unfortunately named
never responds.  I do have a filewall (ipfw), but I flushed all rules, and
looked at 'ipfw show' before and after a query to localhost and no packets are
denied.  I am stumped.

Any information on debugging the problem, contacting the correct people, etc.
really appreciated.

regards,
Galen Sampson