Date:      Fri, 20 Aug 1999 10:37:51 +0300
From:      Ruslan Ermilov <ru@ucb.crimea.ua>
To:        "Arthur H. Johnson II" <arthur@tucows.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Natd question.

On Thu, Aug 19, 1999 at 11:12:46AM -0400, Arthur H. Johnson II wrote:
> I haven't tried yet.  I want to IP Masq through one of my FreeBSD Boxes
> (former Slackware boxes ;)  The only documentation I have seen so far has
> only talked about User PPP which I haven't tried yet.  I just want to make
> sure it works before I try it.

Basicly, there is a ipfirewall(4), divert(4) sockets interface and the
libalias(3) library.

Natd(8) implements generic IP aliasing, which could be used with any
of the network interfaces installed (Ethernet, SLIP, PPP, TUN, etc).
Your kernel should be compiled with IPFIREWALL and IPDIVERT options.
You should then configure your ipfw(8) to redirect the traffic through
divert(4) socket to a natd(8).

User-level ppp(8) has this functionality natively.  It uses libalias(3)
to implement IP aliasing internally, without need to run natd(8) and
ipfirewall(4).

So, if you will run user-level ppp(8) (highly recommended), use its
native IP aliasing feature.  In any other case, use natd(8).

Cheers,
--
Ruslan Ermilov		Sysadmin and DBA of the
ru@ucb.crimea.ua	United Commercial Bank,