Date:      Tue, 25 Jun 2002 12:43:58 +0100 (BST)
From:      Jan Grant <Jan.Grant@bristol.ac.uk>
To:        Johan du Toit <johand@jacqueshau.co.za>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Support Request...vi related

On Tue, 25 Jun 2002, Johan du Toit wrote:

> Good Day!
>
> I am fairly new in the freeBSD arena and would like to raise this
> simple question...
>
> How can I prevent system messages from scrolling while busy
> editing a file in vi ??  It is nearly impossible doing it as you can
> imagine.
>
> I have tried using the :set nomsg command, but no luck.

Well, you could try using a different virtual terminal (it, use ALT-F2
to login) since you won't see console stuff there. If you're logged in
as root (not su'ed to root) then you may get system alerts - most fo
this is configurable through /etc/syslog.conf.

"...er, that's my _spare_ axe." - Gimli in the Council of Elrond, FotR.