Date:      Thu, 18 Jun 1998 10:40:38 +0100
From:      "Bond, Jeffery" <Jeff.Bond@nectech.co.uk>
To:        "'FreeBSD questions'" <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        "'matthew@wolfepub.com'" <matthew@wolfepub.com>
Subject:   RE: ed: device broken!? (was Re: ed1: device timeout?)

Matthew Hagerty wrote:

>Greetings,
>
>   Sorry for the cross-post to hackers, but this has been kicking around on
>questions for a day or two with no resolution.  I have tried everything
>suggested to me but nothing helps.
>
>   Does anyone know if there is a problem with the ed: device driver on
>2.2.6-R?  I have a PCI NIC that was giving me a ed1: timeout error.  I have
>removed *every* card in the system except the video card (on the ISA bus),
>changed cables twice, and set the NIC to every IRQ available on the system.
> I even disabled the serial and parallel ports to be able to use those
IRQs.

>   But here is the clincher...  I took out the PCI NIC and put in a real
>Novell/Eagle NE2000 ISA NIC.  It is jumper-less so I used the DOS utility
>that came with the card to set the IRQ and base address.  Then I booted
>with the GENERIC kernel and set ed0: to the correct settings.  Now for the
>big kick in the a**.  Both cards, the PCI and ISA NIC are both NE2000, so
>they both use the ed: device and *both* cards give me the ed: timeout
>error!!  By this time I was banging my head on everything in reach.  I have
>another ISA NIC (a 3Com) that uses the ep: device and it works fine.
>
>   Anyone else having problems like this?  The MB is an ASUS-Tech SPG3 (yes
>it is a 486).  Intel-DX2-66, 24MB RAM, 4 ISA, 3 PCI, onboard IDE and SCSI
>(both of which can be disabled).  I have been running FreeBSD on it for
>about 2 years and this is the first time I have had any problems.
>
>Thanks
>Matthew

Do you have a properly terminated cable attached to the NIC? I have found
that my 486 running 2.2.2  with an NE2000 clone also says this message if
the cable is duff, or incorrectly terminated. If you are just setting up the
machine, with no cable attached, just attaching a single terminator to the
BNC socket won't help. you'll need a T piece with two terminators attached.
(i.e. the impedance that the NIC expects to see is 25 ohms, not 50).

Of course, if you're not using coax, this might not apply. I've only had
experience with coax.

Hope this helps,

Jeff