Date:      Mon, 10 Aug 1998 18:56:36 +0930 (CST)
From:      "Daniel O'Connor" <doconnor@gsoft.com.au>
To:        FreeBSD-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   ports/7552: I can't make the Perl 5 package

>Number:         7552
>Category:       ports
>Synopsis:       I can't make the Perl 5 package
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
>Release:        FreeBSD 2.2.6-BETA i386
>Environment:

2.2.6-STABLE with the ports tree sup'd this morning

I can build and install Perl, but the package making breaks somewhere during the
post-install thing (where it perlifys the .h files). The weird thing is, if I do it
by hand it works fine, but the Makefile dies.
eg ->
[ multitude of files ]
sys/vsio.h -> sys/vsio.ph
sys/wait.h -> sys/wait.ph
sys/wormio.h -> sys/wormio.ph
*** Error code 1

Stop.
*** Error code 1

Stop.
*** Error code 1

Stop.

>How-To-Repeat:

cd /usr/ports/lang/perl5
make package

>Fix:

Well, I fixed it by commenting out the post-install part, and doing it by hand.
I think the problem is that I have a bad (unreadable) include file, which causes the
h2ph program to return a non-zero error code. It still does everything, but I think
it returns the non-zero code as a warning. Perhaps the invocation should be prefixed
with a '-' to tell make to ignore its return code.