Date:      Wed, 30 May 2001 11:15:12 +0300
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <keramidi@otenet.gr>
To:        Gallagher <mgllghr@bu.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Indexing CDs

On Tue, May 29, 2001 at 01:55:12PM -0400, Gallagher wrote:
| Giorgos,
| 	Isn't /usr/ports/distfiles a sym-link to the cdrom drive?  I
| thought I read that on the list somewhere, but I could be wrong.  (At
| work, can't check the machine right now)
| 	Also, copying all the dist files is a good idea, except that it
| takes a lot of space.  Having the CDs indexed would prevent having to use
| all that space.  But you're right, it does solve the problem.

I installed 4.2-RELEASE from a friend's ISO-image a few weeks ago.
I have been installing lots and lots of packages since then, and I didn't
erase a single thing from /usr/ports/distfiles.  Right now, the distfiles/
directory is close to 450 Mb, and that is a lot of space to have occupied by
tarballs.

But hey, disk space is cheap.  I am not that worried about it.

    # cd /usr/ports/CATEGORY/PACKAGE
    # make install clean

is something that I would never exchange for a few Megabytes of space.

Go for it... copy what you need in /usr/ports/distfiles from the cdroms you
have, and live with your ports happily ever-after :)

--giorgos