Date:      30 Apr 1998 20:43 CDT
From:      "Joe Halpin" <jhalpin@nortel.ca>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Kernel config question

I've just gotten my pnp soundcard to work with 2.2.6, but I don't know
why.

"The Complete FreeBSD" didn't say anything about how to configure the
pcm0 and pnp0 devices, so I just took the lines straight from
LINT. Nothing worked like that.

After browsing the list archives here I noticed a few people saying
that they had configured it to use irq 5, and set the flags to 0x15
(if I remember right). When I tried that the soundcard and mixer
started working.

I'd like to understand why that change made the difference. For
example, is irq 5 just what pcm0 needs to use, or does it have to be
set to whatever the sound card uses, or ... ?

If there's a document that goes into a little more detail on how
device configuration works in FreeBSD I'd appreciate a pointer.

thanks

Joe