Date:      Sat, 25 Oct 1997 10:42:29 -0700
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@whistle.com>
To:        Sri Ramkrishna <sramkris@ichips.intel.com>
Cc:        Phyllis elizabeth Griffiths <justme@islandnet.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, wq666@freenet.victoria.bc.ca
Subject:   Re: This dang site.

Sri Ramkrishna wrote:

> In message <m0xP3Lp-0001jRC@island2.islandnet.com> you write:
> > I am just wondering how the heck I download your OS from the site?
> > It's a operating system that I haven't played with and all I got was
> > that it was a free UNIX based system and that I could download it from
> > your site but what files I need and that sorta stuff I have No idea on
> > if you could send me a list or the files themselves it would be greatly
> > appericated. E-mail me at wq666@freenet.victoria.bc.ca with anything you
> > can give me. Thanks
>
> The best way is to order it from Walnut Creek.  It's about 35 bucks.  Cheaper
> if you get the subscription rate. However, if you want to do the hard way, use
> anonymous ftp to ftp.freebsd.org and cd to /pub/FreeBSD/2.2.5-RELEASE.  You want
> to copy the directories bin, proflib,manpages,dict,doc,compat1x,compat20,compat21,
> catpages, floppies, and tools.  These are probably the most important ones to
> get a minimum working freebsd installation working.

Or you can do it the easy way, and just down load floppies/boot.flp
and write it to a floppy.
It's a raw image so use dd on unix or rawrite.exe on dos (also
available there in the utils (or isi it tools) dir).

Boot off that floppy (after reading the FAQ etc.)
and it will allow you to download everything automatically via PPP
or ethernet (depending  on your setup).