Date:      Wed, 19 Dec 2001 14:20:06 -0700 (MST)
From:      "Forrest W. Christian" <forrestc@imach.com>
To:        Jim Flowers <jflowers@ezo.net>
Cc:        portmaster-users@portmasters.com, freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Infrastructure Design with Portmasters and FreeBSD/Zebra (long)

I'm going to be very specific about this:

Using 1918 space as you have described is bad.  Very bad.

To make a long story short, if you use 1918 space, it will break things in
weird and unusual ways.  The reason for this is a lot of providers discard
any packets with a source address of 1918.  Certain internet protocols
require each router along the path to be able to reply with ICMP messages
with their own address.  If they are in the 1918 space, these will most
likely be discarded causing the functionality which needs these to break.

Most notably, this will break MTU path discovery which can cause a whole
set of other problems which I won't go into.  It also will prevent ICMP
Source qwench messages which are used to provide for some additional flow
control by certain ip stacks.

The only place to use 1918 space is behind a NAT box or on a network which
will never be connected to the internet.

- Forrest W. Christian (forrestc@imach.com) AC7DE