Date:      Wed, 18 Jul 2001 00:37:08 -0400
From:      parv <parv_@yahoo.com>
To:        Bsd Newbie <bsdneophyte@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: a fast windows manager?

on Jul 18 00:15, i got this from Bsd...

> I have an inexpensive bookpc that uses the SiS630
> chipset.  It's pulling 16mb from the system ram...
>
> The problem with this chipset is it's incredibly slow.
>
> I've tried KDE and Gnome which crawl along.  Is there
> a windows manager that looks more like CDE and is much
> faster than these two?

xfce is like cde, don't know about speed & memory usage.

fvwm1, fvwm2, blackbox, vtwm, tvtwm -- all take about the same
virtual/real memory, more or less ...

fvwm2 would be ok for small RAM, as long as you don't run any modules.

so, will blackbox, as long as you don't run bbkeys (for key binding)
and bbpager (for _visual_ virtual desktop/pager)

vtwm has crashed on me (freebsd >3.5-stable + XFree86 >3.3.6) while
using key bindings or moving windows semi-randomly.

tvtwm... ah, doesn't crash like vtwm... only problem is it's harder to
resize/move windows via keyboard, unlike fvwm2, but that's a personal
preference.

if you have 3 mouse button, you should at least try wmx ... i gave up
for creating root menu was unusually cumbersome...

here are some comparisons & things...

my comparison, nov 2000
http://www103.pair.com/parv/comp/unix/conf.x/compare-wm

a list of wms