Date:      Wed, 3 Sep 2003 18:00:30 -0500
From:      David Kelly <dkelly@HiWAAY.net>
To:        FreeBSD-Questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Undo MBR

On Wednesday 03 September 2003 05:13 pm, Paul Murphy wrote:
>  I have just installed FBSD-CURRENT on a test box. During install I
> unwittingly installed a BootMgr entry for the second HDD (it will
> just be a data disk, no need to boot from it).
>
>  If I do 'dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/rad2 count=15' will this "erase"
> the BootMgr or will I have to redo Fdisk and etcetera. There is no
> data on the disk yet so this would be no hardship, but is there a
> "proper" way of doing what I want?
>

>  Just to clarify, upon booting I get:
>
> 	F1 FreeBSD
> 	F5 Drive 1
>
>  but I just want to boot straight into FreeBSD, no "dual-boot".

I don't know why you are fretting about this prompt and momentarily
pause in the boot process. Also think you are confused about the MBR
thing on the 2nd drive.

The prompt above is coming from your first HD. If the BIOS did not know
about the 2nd drive the F5 entry would not be there and the FreeBSD F1
entry would still be there. You could hide this prompt by retuning the
MBR to pause 0 or 1 seconds. Zero might be infinite.

To eliminate the prompt, wipe the HD and reinstall "dangerously
dedicated." The result will be a disk which lacks the headers which
allows other x86 OS's to understand what/how the disk is used.

--
David Kelly N4HHE, dkelly@hiwaay.net