Date:      Mon, 13 Nov 2000 22:46:19 -0800
From:      Mike Smith <msmith@freebsd.org>
To:        Robert Lipe <robertlipe@usa.net>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: pci bus enumeration & cdevsw indexing

> > > to avoid the hard-coded major numbers in the cdevsw[] entry that's
> > > passed?  It seems like make_dev() should be able to roam cdevsw, find
> >
> > This is what devfs is meant to achieve.  Unfortunately at the moment the
> > major numbers need to be fixed because there's no dynamism in /dev.  If
>
> If you have devfs (and it means the same to you that it does to other
> OSes) that would solve the problem nicely.  So is devfs something in
> 4.1.1 or is it future work?  If it's here now, can you point me to an
> example?  If it's future work, is that where I should be focusing?

It's a work-in-progress for 5.0 (on the -current branch), and yes, you
should most definitely be focussing there.

> For a UDI driver, that would be a problem.  A UDI driver-writer has
> no clue where his target device will be running and, indeed, could be
> running on an OS without a /dev.  So we could carve out a pool of b
> and c major numbers for UDI to then dynamically manage on behalf of
> the drivers, but that seems tedious.  The environment has enough bread
> crumbs to know of a given driver is an HBA, a NIC, or something else and
> can set things up appropriately behind the scenes.

Realistically, the only things that still care about device major/minor
numbers are tty devices, control interfaces and non-SCSI non-ATA block
devices.  Having said that, DEVFS is really the only sane answer here,
and it would probably be a prerequisite for anything like UDI.

Regards,
Mike