Date:      Fri, 16 Apr 1999 16:06:10 -0700 ()
From:      Rick Hamell <hamellr@dsinw.com>
To:        Licia <licia@o-o.org>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: application developers [ was Jordan the Confused (Was: Jordan The Evil!) ]

> for people who talk about becoming involved with the FreeBSD project, bad bad
> way to handle people considering writing applications for it.  I'm about to
> cancel one of my projects (bouncer) for example, simply because I have not
> managed to get -any- serious alpha testers, or even any feedback on it and
> it's either cancel it or move it to Linux, and I don't want to waste one of my
> machines to install Linux on.

	What is bouncer? :) You have some good points though. Even being a
relative newbie I see this problem, especially on the mailing lists. In
fact there is someone right now complaining that he's sent 5 messages and
not gotten an answer for any of them. :( I'd help... but I don't have the
experience/knowledge yet to be able to do so. Heck, I'm still trying to
figure out the differances between 2.2.8 and 3.1 and how it affects
me...:)
	Perhaps part of our advocacy should be to encourage such projects?
Not just encourage a growth in the user base. For me personally there are
so many areas I'd like to contribute, the Sparc Project, the simplified
PPP installation for other newbies, increased documentation AND pointers
to that same documentation, updated CAM drivers for some of the older
Adaptec cards, etc, etc, etc. I sure that y'all have a hundred other
'little' things that 'need' to be done too. Perchance getting somebody
else to do the little things would get them more interested in FreeBSD,
and in turn help the entire project?

						Rick

---- "Buckaroo, the Presidents on the line, he wants to know if everything
      is ok or should we nuke Russia?"